Monday, March 18, 2013

DIY Glass Bottle Bird-Feeders

I recently conducted a class for the Master Gardener chapter that I'm a member of on making bird-feeders utilizing natural sources, recycled materials and re-purposed items. Of course the best bird-feeder is what nature provides: nuts, seeds and fruit from native trees, shrubs and wildflowers (and native insects)... Here's my hand-out for my "bird" talk I give:  Creating a Bird Garden

But - this class was all about creating bird-feeders and I came up with a few originals and I experimented with several I found on the Internet. I loved how my DIY Wine Bottle Bird-Feeders turned out, but drilling the holes in the bottles takes a little practice to perfect the skill (and I still shatter a few bottles occasionally). This DIY, however, is similar and requires no tools - drills, drill bits, etc...

Supplies:
  • Recycled glass water bottle - it must have a threaded cap (carbonated water, seltzer water, sparkling water, mineral water etc.). Wine bottles (even if they have a threaded cap) won't work.
  • (Gadjit) premade plastic feeder base. You can occasionally find these adapters (they are designed to make a feeder out of a plastic 2 liter soda bottle) at a pet store, but you can also purchase one from my Etsy shop for $3.50 - click here: Rebecca's Bird Gardens (Etsy)
  • 6 or 8 gauge copper wire (Home Depot - less than a dollar per foot). 8 gauge is easier to bend, but I like the look of the thicker gauge (6 gauge).

Male Cardinal
How to:

Wrap the copper wire around the bottle. Start at the neck of the bottle (I make a small loop in the wire to have something to hold onto while I twist the wire). Continue wrapping the wire around the bottle making a hook or S shape at the top for hanging.  -Add some "bling" (jewelry pendant, etc.). 


Add birdseed - hang the feeder - watch the action!


Tufted Titmouse
Female House Finch (or is it a female Purple Finch?)
Male House Finch ~ Male Cardinal
House Finch ~ Carolina Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
UPDATE!!

Featured at Better Homes and Gardens! - Recycled-Bottle Bird Feeder

This glass bottle bird-feeder, "The Bistro", is always available in the Etsy shop!  Decorative accents - your choice at checkout -  large tree (words in leaves), smaller tree or flower - all pendants are copper colored metal. Each feeder is unique and design will vary slightly.
Shop at this link: Rebecca's Bird Gardens - Etsy



I invite you to "like" my Facebook page to see all the Market happenings and my latest DIY projects! Click on this link: Rebecca's Bird Gardens (Facebook)

6 comments:

  1. Glass Bottles have so many advantages -First of all, they’re reusable. On average our bottles have a return rate of 80% and get reused 6-8 times, so that’s definitely good for the environment. But glass bottles also keep your milk colder in the fridge and therefore it lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size bottle did you use was it a 750ml or a 330ml?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! They are very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did you say threaded wine bottles won't work?

    ReplyDelete

Find your Farmers Market