Monday, May 2, 2016

The Rose-breasted Grosbeak

I saw my first migrating Rose-breasted Grosbeak about 4 years ago (on May 5th) as it was migrating north and stopped at a sunflower feeder at my property. Since then I've noticed that their yearly visit is always the first week of May. Last week I started keeping the feeders full of sunflower seeds and today - May 2nd - they paused their journey and enjoyed a meal!


Females and immatures are streaked brown and white
 with a bold face pattern and enormous bill. (allaboutbirds.rog)


Love how the colors of the male Downy Woodpecker blend in the the visiting guys!


Outdoor Wednesday
I'd Rather B Birdn'
Wild Bird Wednesday
Nature Notes

14 comments:

  1. Hello, one of my favorite birds. The male Rose-brreasted Grosbeaks are beautiful.
    Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these birds but have only hosted a nesting pair once..Lovely photos...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I saw my first RB Grosbeak of the year this morning. It was happily pecking away at the suet. More signs of spring! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, first LOVE the feeder. And I'm sure you made it yourself so talented you are.

    Love the grosbeaks. I just saw one male and several females today at the park. Your photos are superior. Thanks for sharing the link this week at I'd Rather B Birdin' [I'm in my personal blog admin right now, but I clicked on your link from my photo blog meme...thanks again]

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just lovely photos of fabulous birds! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful feeder and fantastic birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful feeder and fantastic birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these birds but have only hosted a nesting pair once..Lovely photos...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to make this one for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your bird photos :-) Just found your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete

Find your Farmers Market