Sunday, January 19, 2014

Red-tailed Hawk


Last year was the first time that I saw Bald Eagles less than a mile from my property. This winter I've enjoyed stalking them again... A few times a week I make loop a around the pond and river that they patrol. Last week I saw four one day, but only caught a distant photo of one. Fortunately -  I got a few close-up shots of an immature Red-tailed Hawk!

This young bird was missing the distinctive red tail of the older hawks, but it's still an impressive predator...


I also saw about 100 Canadian Geese grazing with the cattle. :)


Outdoor Wednesday
I'd Rather B Birdn'
Wild Bird Wednesday
Nature Notes

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! The eagle is a handsome bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness....so many beautiful birds. I have yet to see a bald eagle here in Texas tho I used to see both the bald and golden eagles in Colorado a lot. And Canadian Geese are so invasive in Colorado but not here in Texas...again. Now that hawk. I've read that there are several different color variations with the Red Tailed...so this one and its coloring is exceptionally wonderful to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... I have never seen an eagle in person... Love raptors.... Lucky geese finding someplace to graze.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the eagle and the Hawk is cool looking! Great shots. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely to spot the eagles (and hawk) ...the geese also, wonderful shots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great captures! Love the hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great shots. Eagles are always impressive. MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice raptor shots. "Your" eagle looks colder than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not been as lucky to see an Eagle as you have but I have had my share of birds hanging around, esp the red tail hawk that seems to be a regular to my back yard. He scared me so bad the other day when I walked from around the house to get in the car and this big bird with an amazing wing span came flying at me......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep getting your new posts in my inbox even tho I haven't subscribed, I suspect it's because my name is Rebecca Bird and what a nice coincidence! I love your feeders,photos and ingenuity...so Hi from New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great opportunity to see your magnificent Eagles and Hawks! A field full of Geese is pretty neat, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! The eagle is so striking.

    ReplyDelete

Find your Farmers Market