Friday, January 24, 2014

Purple Finch vs House Finch

Here are two similar finches that are frequent visitors to my bird-feeders...
The Purple Finch is a native to North America and is described as a “sparrow dipped in raspberry juice.”


The House Finch - introduced to the states in the 1950s - lacks the overall red appearance of the Purple Finch.

Pretty easy to tell apart side-by-side - not always so easy when they're solo.

Outdoor Wednesday
I'd Rather B Birdn'
Wild Bird Wednesday
Nature Notes

14 comments:

  1. I love the colorful birds, they are so much fun to watch and esp while they are feeding! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen both of these little birds at my feeders. It's great to have a side by side comparison because I'm not always sure which bird I'm looking at. My birdhouse came and I love it!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you like the birdhouse and thank-you for the kind review on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're both cuties, and we get both of them here, too--just about year-round. They hang out with the goldfinches, juncos, and chickadees--all wonderful little songbirds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute. i've only seen the house finch (at least that i know of). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots, showing the Purple and House Finches. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these colourful little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a definite...much easier seeing the two together than a single one on a different day.
    Thanks for the clarification!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are hard. I see purple finch during the winter mixed in with house finch. I try to look at the bill, but it is hard. Great info and photos Rebecca...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two smart little birds, and I can understand what you are saying about the ID.
    aLL THE BEST gORDON.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you send some of that raspberry over this way?:) Love to see this little bird:)

    ReplyDelete

Find your Farmers Market