Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Wine Bottle Bird-Feeders ~ "The Vineyard"

New this spring at the market and available now in the Etsy shop! 
Click on this link:  Rebecca's Bird Gardens (Etsy)

Carolina Chickadee ~ Tufted Titmouse


Last year I held a class for the Master Gardener chapter that I'm a member of on making bird-feeders utilizing natural sources, recycled materials and re-purposed items. Of course the best bird-feeder is what nature provides: nuts, seeds and fruit from native trees, shrubs and wildflowers (and native insects)... Here's my hand-out for my "bird" talk I give:  Creating a Bird Garden

The DIY wine bottle bird-feeder that I demonstrated involved drilling a couple of holes in a wine bottle. Once you get the hang of drilling through glass, it's a fun feeder to make. Here's the DIY for that feeder:  DIY Wine Bottle Bird-Feeders

This wine bottle feeder requires drilling 4 holes in a wine bottle - which would be very difficult to do without a drill press... 

I love how these feeders have turned out and it seems my backyard birds approve too! ♥

Downy Woodpecker
Tufted Titmouse ~ Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Chickadee ~ Downy Woodpecker
American Goldfinch
White Breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Chickadee ~ Tufted Titmouse


16 comments:

  1. Those are among the cutest bird feeders I've ever seen. Nice handiwork! The hardware is so pretty--especially with the feathered friends perched on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    This is my first time visiting here and I really like these wonderful bird feeders!
    How beautiful they are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute and such a variety of birds you have visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos of the birds and so amazing feeders :)
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Rebecca , my how you keep your selves buisy makeing all those wonderfull items, and getting the birds to come to them.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these!! Do you have to go back after drilling and sand the edges of the holes on the inside and outside (the feeders without the ports/perches pictured above)? Are the edges of the holes very sharp? And where do you find the port/perches like you show above? I can't find those at all! Love your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found a supplier for the perches. What I have done is look for cheaper plastic feeders with metal perches and use those...

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I haven't found a supplier for the perches. What I have done is look for cheaper plastic feeders with metal perches and use those...

      Delete
  8. Absolutely love these, where did you purchase the copper perches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found a supplier for the perches. What I have done is look for cheaper plastic feeders with metal perches and use those...

      Delete
  9. Also what size copper tubing is that quarter inch? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure on the size in inches... I use 6 gauge - which is probably close the 1/4"

      Delete
  10. I guess my first post didn't go through if it did you can delete this one. I found a combination perch port hope it works for you. https://northstatesind.com/?s=perch&submit=

    ReplyDelete

Find your Farmers Market